Image Upload


File size must be less than 2Mb

You must have online publishing permission or full ownership of this image

File types (jpg, png, gif)






  • Hero image
    Glenn Rudolph, Forest Fire Management Victoria's Wimmera district manager.

Planned burns in the Grampians

Forest Fire Management Victoria’s planned burning program started in Grampians National Park last week to reduce the potential impact of bushfires.

Wimmera district manager Glenn Rudolph said the burning program aimed to reduce the spread and intensity of future bushfires and modify conditions to give firefighters a greater chance to contain a fire before it impacted on people, property and the environment.

“We work closely with the Bureau of Meteorology to assess weather conditions – such as humidity, temperature and wind speed – and will only carry out burns when conditions are suitable,” he said.

“People might see and smell smoke around Grampians National Park while the planned burning program is taking place.



Article continues below


“We know that smoke from planned burns can concern some people, but it’s important that crews take every opportunity while conditions are right to reduce bushfire risk. 

“Smoke is an inevitable by-product of the important planned burning work we do.” 

Mr Rudolph encouraged people to sign up to Planned Burns Victoria online to find out about up-to-date burns, install a VicEmergency app on smart phones or call the VicEmergency hotline on 1800 226 226 with any concerns.

“While FFMVic aims to minimise the impact on the community as much as possible, these planned burns might result in a number of localised closures and visitor restrictions within Grampians National Park for the duration of ignition,” he said.

“Once a burn is scheduled, closure information for roads and tracks within the Grampians National Park can be found on the Parks Victoria website, www.parks.vic.gov.au.

“Signs will also be in place to notify residents and visitors when closures are occurring.

“For safety reasons, these closures will remain in place until the area is declared safe.”

Mr Rudolph said crews were adhering to appropriate physical-distancing and hygiene requirements to ensure operations could safely continue across the state.

The entire May 5, 2021 edition of The Weekly Advertiser is available online. READ IT HERE!